Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Port placed and first chemo

We were at the OR at 5:30am this morning for them to place Kimmy's Portacath.  It's a small "appliance" that allows the chemo drugs to be pushed into the superior vein.  It stays in until Chemo is over; 6 months.  Then over to the MD Anderson oncology unit for her first Chemo.  I had never been to a chemo unit before.  Quite a sensation to walk down the hallway and see all those machines for infusing cancer drugs and know we are going to be using one for a while.

She managed to eat a bit before they started (no food since the night before) the treatment around noon.  She was quite brave for both events, I have to say I was impressed.  Finally I stepped on her toe really hard so she would cry. ;)  It was good to get the fight started.  Lon was home taking care of the dogs, making din-din and handling a few other things so we didn't have to think about any of that.  Audra dropped by with some really delish looking meat pie and wine as well.  So many people have reached out to my Kimmy, all in different but meaningful ways.  We thank you all.

Kimmy got to feeling pretty crappy but she has rebounded nicely this evening and is down on the couch now.  One treatment in the bag!  The next few days she will rest and stay on all kinds of meds for treatment side effects.  Hopefully we keep them under control and she isn't too sick.

4 comments:

  1. The first one down. YAY! Make her stay and the sofa and let you guys take care and pamper her like I know you will. Hang in there guys. There is now one less she has to do. I love you and I'm sending you guys all the prayers, thoughts and positive energy I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys, thank you for allowing us to cheer you on this very personal journey through this blog. Richard, please continue with the updates as for some of us its our connection with Kimmy right now. You have no idea how great it felt to read that after a long time Kimmy was starting to feel a little better and was on the couch downstairs. Love ya guys, Noop

    ReplyDelete
  3. " When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the fire you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." Isaiah 43:2-3

    Praying down the heavenlies for you Kimmy!!Love you and trusting our precious Lord with each step of this journey. He loves you more than you will ever know. And so does Kim B.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have passed down some of these corridors my child must now walk, as did my Mother. Were it possible, I would take these steps for her.

    ReplyDelete