Friday, July 29, 2011

July "cancer free" update

Hello friends and family!
We are three quarters through July and I am still cancer-free. Thought I'd just toss that out straight away!
Summer is flying by, and I think it only just started! We've been busy. It seems everyone has. Doesn't it seem like this is the summer of travel-vacations? Richie and I went to Atlanta for our yearly July 4th Peachtree run, and Bullock family visit. This year was special for so many reasons. I'll list them in order of occurrence.
Stayed at the JW Marriott. Love love love Marriotts!
Had dinner with the Bullocks--usually we don't see them till the fourth because they are at their Lake house while we are in the city.
Had drinks and reunion with Michelle "ma belle" King Slater. Have not seen her in years! That was probably the highlight of the trip.
Ran from a chute!! ie did not jump in, with Freckles and Stick-man and Devil Dog (him for all of thirty seconds!!! He disappeared after we crossed the start line. When questioned as to whether or not he looked for us, he gave us the most innocent look and said, "No." He cannot tell a lie!)
Made it to the Varsity, Lon included!!
then we listened to the ART Of RACING IN THE RAIN on the way home.
Great trip.
OK, so maybe I overdid it a bit, even though I went to bed at reasonable times and took naps (as I do every day now out of necessity) because a few days after I got home i got Bell's Palsy!
What is Bell's Palsey you ask? (And a few of you are saying, isn't that the virus that makes your face look like you had a stroke? Surely not) Surely YES! Remember Tommy Boy, the movie? Where he says, "Does my face look funny? Not so much here or here, but RIGHt HEre." yes. Left side paralysis.

Of course I had the fear hit me--is this cancer again? I went to the neurological office I go to for the neuropathy I'm being treated for. I was told I had a mild case of Bell's palsy, with a slight possibility it may be a symptom of cancer tumors floating along my spinal chord.

Oh, yes. Can you believe it? The thing was, if the face improved, it wasn't cancer. The proverbial take two steroids and call me in the morning. I am happy to report, I am almost 100% healed. Lucky me, I just got a new nerve virus, but not cancer. :-)

As far as the neuropathy, the Dr has found the right mix of drugs to keep me pain free. I keep lowering the doses myself to see how little I can take and have regular use of my hands and feet. I'm trying to keep the meds as few as possible because of their side effects. Swelling and weight gain and increased fatigue, which is already a major complication in my life.
I used to say i was like a little baby, crying whenever I got over tired. Now I am a kindergardener. I nap every day from 11:30ish to 2:30ish. Out. Like. A. Light.

My skin is continuing to heal, my muscles are getting stronger, my hair is growing and it is a curly hot mess! I love it.
I have a PET scan scheduled for November 2nd. That is the big one, to see if all this nonsense has worked.

My MOM. She has started taking her Femora, and as a result is seeing her hair thinning out, but otherwise no bad side effects. She is recuperating from her radiation treatment, and Like me, needs a lot of sleep. She had an MRI last Monday. I will report on her progress when I write again in August with my monthly update. :-)

Happy Summer, guys!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh Kimmy - your blog teaches me something new every time I read it. Cancer has such long lasting effects. Beating it is only one side, living through it and living fully is the other. Learning that life isn't exactly what we thought it was, is the another. Priorities and fulfillment move around like cheerios in a bowl:) Thank you for sharing your jouney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. play bazaar If you know how to prepare taxes, you can earn money online. Apply for the necessary government licenses and then begin offering your services online. Many of today's top producers work from home with only their laptop and an email address. For best results, continually advertise your services throughout the year. satta king

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make use of a mind map. Organizing your blog into a mind-map, using the categories, posts, satta king promotion and all of your income sources can be a great method of organization. Play Bazar It creates a way for you to see where your blog is lacking and what you can do to make it more successful.

    ReplyDelete