Friday, December 31, 2010

Thoughts on 2010 and the year ahead

I remember the night before my first chemo treatment, Lon, Richard, and I watched a little video called "Chemo and you," or something to that effect. The video follows three chemo patients and their side effects. Two of the three had some awful sounding stories. I remember looking at Lon and being terrified. Rashes, and mouth sores, and vomiting, oh my.
But there was a third guy who I also recall said something like, "I don't know why my reactions have been mild. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones."
With chemo, there is no rhyme or reason.
During these last four and a half months of chemo, I've thought of that man often. because I am also one of the lucky ones. The first chemo cocktail (a combo of three chemicals) was a little rougher than the second sort (the taxol I'm on now) but even that wasn't too bad. I got nauseous, but didn't throw up. I got tired, but still had enough energy to exercise pretty regularly. I lost my hair, but...oh :-) There wasn't a good side to that. (Maybe the good side will be that my hair will grow back thick and wavy!!)
Now the nausea is almost always gone.
I was supposed to lose my nails and toenails, but so far only a few of my toes are blue. :-) I got very itchy with an allergic reaction to the taxol at first, but that has subsided. My skin is dry, but that's why God created baby oil. And guess what? My hair (we think) is starting to grow back!
The worst side effect is fatigue that comes and goes, and a low feeling that attaches itself to the most intense tiredness. But again, the fatigue comes and goes. I'm even able to run/walk once a week and do other forms of exercise which always makes me feel better. In general, I'm plugging right along. Why? Because I get plenty of rest? Because I'm lucky enough to be able to not fly the friendly skies right now (Thank you, honey.)? Because of my fitness level going into all this? That's most people's favorite reason for my general good luck with the chemo thing. But I happen to know of a very fit female athlete who had severe side effects on chemo.
My theory is prayer. I am being prayed for all over the world by so many people (most of whom don't even know me :-)).
It's new year's eve, a time to reflect on what's behind us and to look to the future with hopeful hearts as to what lies in store, and to be thankful.
I am thankful for my friends, and to God for allowing me to get through this so far, with relative ease, and for my family, who have all come through for me with buckets of love and support. (Is it so wrong to not want this mushy mid-section? Oops. Digressing.)
Please be safe on this new year's eve. Be good to your loves ones. Be good to yourself. And have a happy, healthy new year. See you in 2011! xxoo

3 comments:

  1. Yes, 2011, hey! That's tomorrow and it will be a golden year for the Hayes/Husty/Davis clan and beyond. Can't wait to see your thick, curly, golden locks flippin' in the sunlight as we cruise down the road with the top down....*grin*
    Love you child! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and Light to you and Richard and the black dog club. :) Be kind to yourself, go easy on you and take good care. Know every moment you are loved, protected, and prayed for. You are encompassed in that Light... Hold on to it always... Love you! 2011 yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got off the phone with you, and feel like it's only been a little while since we were roommates:) When I see you in my mind - you are surrounded by light - angels and prayers. Your writings give me a look into your thoughts, fears, and days - they are a gift. Kimmaroo - I just love you - I miss you.

    ReplyDelete