Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The only way out is through...with the help of an angel or fifty

Last three-chemical chemo today. Yay!
To be honest, today was a hard day. Big things, little things, physical things, a few worries, and then I just plain didn't really know why, but suffice it to say I was a little bluesy and teary. I really hate to mention it because I don't like people to feel bad. Everyone has these days, after all. But I did want to mention it because of the beautiful grace I believe I was shown today. It's so not fair to keep it a secret!

First, I was in line at the pharmacy to get my three day anti nausea drug. There were several people in the small pharmacy, and I heard the door open and close an out of my peripheral vision I saw someone new come in. She sat down in a chair to wait and said, "How's it going, girl?" Real perky like that. I assumed she knew someone in the room. But...something made me glance her way and she was looking at me. Sweet little happy white-haired lady with several missing teeth. Sparkly eyes. I said I was "doin' pretty good" and asked after her. Apparently she's been battling cancer five years and is about to come out on the other side.
She gave me this keen look, like she could see into me and said, "God Bless you." I felt like it was God himself saying, "I'm here." I blessed her right back. When I left, we said goodbye and she said to me, "You be happy." Not like a perky wish. More like a kindly stated order.
Naturally I met Rich on the bench outside and cried a little. Poor Richie. I promise you this doesn't happen every day or even very often. So then I wiped my eyes and we went up to chemo. Richie went down to the car for my blanket. A waiting room full of people and there was this chipper red haired lady joking around with the office girls about having a Roto-Rooter. (Don't ask!)
I was sitting across the room. She wheeled her little briefcase over to me and said in a soft voice she hadn't been using earlier (:-)) "You're too young to be here." She asked me if she could pray for me and asked my name. She told me that her pastor had recently advised his flock to "cast their worries on Jesus." She said to cast 'em like the garbage men throw the bags of garbage on their trucks. It made me smile. Once again, I felt God's presence telling me to let these certain worries go. Big things I can't do anything about anyway but that keep me up at night. People in need, some of them very close to me, and animals and oil spills, and the fear I may leave my wonderful husband behind sooner than later...but I digress. Naturally I spilled a few more tears. She hugged me and said it was ok. "Sometimes when people speak a kindness over you it brings our feelings to the surface." Yep. Especially when they're just tucked under a scrap of tissue paper! Incidentally, she has stage four ovarian cancer and metatastic breast cancer. And she was drawn to me to comfort me! Awesome.
Then the lady who finished her chemo treatment several minutes before me walked over to me and touched my leg before she left. We hadn't spoken at all. I hadn't even seen her face. She'd been laid out and asleep most of the time and I had heard something about her having low blood pressure and having to wait for her chemo. She looked me right in the eye and smiled the sweetest smile and said, "Good luck with whatever you're going through." Again I felt His presence. Richard said after she left, "Oh, did you two have a nice chat?" I said no and just shook my head.
So the funnest God-speak came on the ride home. I'm on a country music kick just now. (And am just dumbfounded that the guy who sounds just like the lead singer from Hootie and the Blowfish they're playing on the radio so much really IS him!!) Anyway, after Darius's song went off, an up-beat little blue grass/pop country song came on. I grinned and said, "I like this song."
Richard and I listened for a minute. Maybe some of you know the refrain. I especially liked the regular lyrics part about angels on the street, lending you a hand like what happened to me today. Like My Goldie's Angels. Like my family--husband, daughter, mom, sisters, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, mother-in-law, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Nieces and Nephews. My WP Dawgs! Like so many of my friends including my oldest friends who've reached out to me recently. And, well I know it, (even if I sound nuts) the ladies at the hospital today. :-)

If your going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there



...But the good news Is
there's angels everywhere
out on the street
Holding out a hand
to pull you back up on your feet...

Guess what I'm saying

If you're going through hell
Keep on moving, face that fire
Walk right through it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there


Richie's eyes got suspiciously moist beneath his Oakleys. He didn't say anything, just reached over and turned the radio up.
Love to all! & Goodnight.

6 comments:

  1. That would be the incredible Rodney Atkins singing IF YOUR'RE GOING THROUGH HELL!
    Here are the lyrics in FULL. I LOVE this song and it has encouraged me through valley after valley over the years! When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and HANG ON!
    On my knees for you Kimmy Kim!

    Well you know those times
    When you feel like there's a sign there on your back
    Says I don't mind if ya kick me
    Seems like everybody has
    Things go from bad to worse
    You'd think they can't get worse than that
    And then they do

    You step off the straight and narrow
    And you don't know where you are
    Use the needle of your compass
    To sew up your broken heart
    Ask directions from a genie
    In a bottle of Jim Beam
    And she lies to you
    That's when you learn the truth

    If you're going through hell
    Keep on going, don't slow down
    If you're scared, don't show it
    You might get out
    Before the devil even knows you're there

    Well I been deep down in that darkness
    I been down to my last match
    Felt a hundred different demons
    Breathing fire down my back
    And I knew that if I stumbled
    I'd fall right into the trap that they were laying, yeah

    But the good news
    Is there's angels everywhere out on the street
    Holding out a hand to pull you back up on your feet
    The one's that you've been dragginig for so long
    You're on your knees
    You maight as well be praying
    Guess what I'm saying

    If your going through hell
    Keep on going, don't slow down
    If you're scared don't show it
    You might get out
    Before the devil even knows you're there

    Yeah, If you're going through hell
    Keep on moving, face that fire
    Walk right through it
    You might get out
    Before the devil even knows you're there

    If you're going through hell
    Keep on going, don't slow down
    If you're scared don't show it
    You might get out
    Before the devil even knows you're there

    Yeah, If you're going through hell
    Keep on moving, face that fire
    Walk right through it
    You might get out
    Before the devil even knows you're there
    Yeah, you might get out
    Before the devil even knows you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wonderfully gifted wife...you had me at hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful Kimmy... Grace is a beautiful gift and you my friend are blessed. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kimmy for opening my eyes! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kimmy that made me cry! Thank you for sharing that. I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ensure that the titles of your blog posts are very catchy. Play Bazar Imagine that you are someone who is just browsing the internet and you see your blog post among thousands of others. You should ensure that your blog headline sticks out from the rest satta king .

    ReplyDelete