Thursday, March 31, 2011

Four weeks and two days out of surgery and getting more human every day.

I have several updates.

First, exercise. Remember how I said I felt like I should be doing some kind of exercises, but I could find nothing on-line, and no one from the hospital had given me any sort of instructions or direction and this seemed odd to me? Well it was odd. And the lack of knowledge created a delay in my treatment. That is a fact, not a complaint. In truth, I am grateful for the snafu. I got to wait ten more days to start radiation.

My radiation mapping appointment went like this:
Nurse-"Ms. Hayes, can you lift your arms over your head?"

Me-"No."

Nurse-"Have you been doing your exercise?"

Me-"No."

Nurse-Blank look.

Me-"What exercises?...Does this mean I don't have to start today?"

She'd ask the doctor she said, but she didn't think so. Then my radiation oncologist came in and said, let me see how far you can go. Now picture me sticking out my arm, and really struggling, and it won't go even with my shoulder. Even when Doc tried to force it up there! (Thanks buddy)

For those of you with friends or family who may go through the type of cancer treatment I have, take note. There are specific exercises advised, starting around day seven post surgery (ouch!!!) meant to prepare your shoulder for overhead movement. (3):

1. Walk fingers up wall, sideways, and shimmy into the wall until hand is flat on wall, arm straight up, body next to wall. 2. Arm circles, as far up as you can go, as far back, down and around. reverse. 3. Put hands on head, both at the same time. Walk hands down back of head and try to walk them down back.

I am getting more flexible every day! And the pain is less every day. As the pain goes, my mood improves. I will go in on my revised date, April 4, for mapping.

The doctor says I am well within the optimal time to have effective radiation. Effective meaning no stray cancer cells will make it out of the area. But, btw, this treatment is viewed now as strictly adjuvant therapy. In other words, the treatment is preventative because I don't have cancer anymore. Doesn't that sound wonderful? I'll say it again.
I DON'T HAVE CANCER ANYMORE!

Second update, new date for radiation.
The optimal starting range, post surgery, for effective radiation therapy, nationally, is 6 to 8 weeks. Studies show an increase in recurrence when people wait to have their therapy starting at 8 weeks and up. MD Anderson strives for starting their patients in the 4-6 week range. I will be starting at 5 and 1/2 weeks. Pretty good. (Who was the nut that scheduled me for 3 weeks and one day?!)

I view the snafu with my exercises as a blessing from God! Maybe I'm a slow healer, but I was in pain, (I don't want to call it severe, but I will say, it made me feel hysterical after a while. Like a burn you can't ice.) even the day I went in for mapping. I kept thinking, how am I going to stand this burn on top of already burning skin?! And then I didn't have to.

My dear friend, Linda, came over this week with dinner and her beautiful company. She marveled over my taupe colored--or maybe pewter?--hair. What in the world color is it anyway? None I've ever bought, I assure you. But it doesn't matter. What matters is, I am growing a head of hair! And as my friend asked other questions, whose answers made her smile, she said I should share these milestones with you. "People want to know your successes" or something to that effect, she said. So here are a few.

Everyday (minus these last few monsoon days--can you believe this weather?!) I walk. The walks vary between 2 and 4 miles. They are sloooow. But I am moving.
I can't walk my dogs yet, but I can walk my DOG. Singular, Frank, the vietnam vet turned pacifist known in many circles as friend frank, leader of the society of friends. (He's a pacifist now. Except for the mishap with the last leader of the society of friends. Probably why he doesn't pull me with his leash.)

I feel better.

I can put my arms over my head.

I have taste buds, don't feel sick, can have wine :-) (Until radiation starts. But who knows after that? I get conflicting stories.)

My fingernails look better than ever!

Third update, mom.
Sometimes good comes from struggle, eh? Like the fact I am home because of all this, not flying, so I can be here while my mom goes through her treatments. She has learned her cancer is in her entire spine, in her hip, and two ribs. She will go through two courses of radiation, because apparently you can't nuke the whole spine at once! She has already started her radiation. Today is day three! She is facing it all with a smile on her face and an eye to the big picture. I know this because she writes to me most days. Her words are picturesque, I see nature and seasons and rain and the sea in her words. In her strength and peace I am very encouraged! My mother has always been an artist. A pianist, a painter, now a painter of words.

A quick shout out to Strutter and Crash who came by to drop food and encouragement and an offer of dog walking. (Sorry I didn't take you up on it Dennis! I could not ask you to take them in the rain!) To Frex who came and cooked me dinner, then another time braved the Bible study gals (an awesome group of women, but she'd never met them!) To Linda for the wonderful birds and company. To Stephipoo for her visits and for walking my babies. (And me!)
To Babbette for all she does, cooking, sitting and watching tv just right heehee! for vacuuming. For listening. For always being there for me to "call first thing in the morning." To Pammy for visiting and trying to make my vacuum work! And for polka dot socks :-). To Kim B for...Kim B. To Mr. and Mrs. OAD, aka John and Sharon Corbett for stopping by the hospital on d-day, then sending gourmet dinner! To Rose, for shopping and sending lots of love and support! To Rosemary for texts about Vivi-choos and for understanding how important a clean house is and for having made sure my floors were clean for months!!! To Richipoo for being strong, loving me so, and working your butt off!! To Lon for taking me on all your marathons (I've done three now. One day I will do one with my own two feet.) and for so many other things. For MJ and Bill for constant messages of love and support. For Collyd, innumerable thanks for your sweet friendship. For Al for being my belle-fille, and for coming home from time to time to brighten my day. I could go on...but I will stop by saying thanks to all who've been wonderful and made my life better, especially these last months. I close with thanks to my mom. For being strong. For encouraging me. For being part of who I am. Mom, I am a diamond, I cannot be broken. And so are you--I was cut from you...



2 comments:

  1. To my youngest child - I could not be prouder of you - you make my heart swell as if it would burst. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. play bazaar Before you set your heart on making money online, set your household up. Making sure you are free from interruptions can be a very important part of your success. Children, spouses and other people can cut you off at the most inconvenient times. Make sure your time is your own, so you can maximize earnings. satta king

    ReplyDelete